Tuesday, November 9, 2010

It's a God thing

I just feel really lead to post this today. We have been very lucky to not have been met with too many adoption skeptics....or at least we have not heard of many people that have had negative things to say about our journey to our boys. However, we are fully aware that there are people out there that don't understand. I have had one woman come up to me and say that she was "praying for my womb to open". Part of me was very irritated by that comment, part of me wanted to bust out laughing because who says stuff like that, and then another part of me just felt very sorry for her and her ignorance on the subject of adoption. I have gotten a few "as soon as you adopt then maybe you will have your own children". This one really rubs me the wrong way. Do people really think that just because we choose to adopt that they will not be our "own children"? Benji and I just don't care that much about biology. It's actually pretty silly to us. I have heard of other people that say they don't know that they can love someone that is not linked to them biologically. Really?? My thoughts on that are "How can you truly love your spouse then?" Your spouse is not linked to you biologically. Let me tell ya...I love my spouse more than life itself. I love him because he is the one that the Lord has chosen for me to be with...and of course because he is a pretty awesome guy:) My in-laws are not biologically connected to me but I love them as though they were. Our nieces and nephews on Benji's side are not biologically related to me but I love them all as though they were my own. I have friends that I love just like they are my family. They aren't biologically linked to me but still there is little that I wouldn't do for anyone of them. In the grand scheme of life, what does a little DNA have to do with love? If DNA determines what your heart will and will not allow you to love, then perhaps you should do a reality check on your heart.
Adoption is a calling in life. It is not for everyone. Heck, as tough as it can be, sometimes I wonder if it is really for us:) Everyone in life has their own calling. It's all a matter of really seeking the Lord and listening to what your calling life is. When the Lord calls...you answer. The Lord has called Benji and I to adopt and we are doing our very best to listen and follow him.
Again, we have been quite fortunate to not have been met with too many negative adoption skeptics. I do have a very dear friend who is in the process of adopting as well, and she has been met with a little negativity. There are people out there that are a little narrow minded and somewhat insensitive. Plain and simply put...they do not understand adoption, let alone international adoption. All I can say is...it's a God thing. If you don't understand, then seek him for the answers. When you are truely seeking the Lord...it really stirs the devil up and aggitates him. Thus he comes in and trys very hard to discourage you on the path that you are on. I just challenge anyone out there to NOT let the devil use you as a vessel to discourage others who are fighting their own battles. If you can't be positive, uplifting and encouraging to someone then by all means...just be silent. Otherwise...you are doing the devil's dirty work.

4 comments:

Heather said...

Great post. We do have some oppostion to our adoption journey - even the second time around. And it is hard to explain to people who don't have faith that it is a God thing. Thankfully He is only one we have to answer to in the end!

Ashley said...

Love this post!!

Tara said...

I love you Shanon!;) Thank you for writing this!

Hannah said...

Preach it, girl!! Awesome :)