Saturday, January 29, 2011

Day 2 and 3

I am a little confused on what day it is with so much traveling and so many different time changes. However...we made it safely to our region. The plane ride was a breeze and our facilitators were waiting on us the minute we stepped off the plane. We honestly couldn't have had smoother travels. The security at the airports here is pretty tight after the events of last week. We don't mind that at all. The only real problems that we have endured is we blew a fuse in our voltage adapter. Our driver in Moscow drove us all over the city to try to find a new one in which we had no luck. Fortunately, there is a converter in the apartment and we do have one fuse left on our adapter...but for me that mean no flat iron. As shallow as it may sound...that was one of my biggest fears in traveling. I may have to rock a ponytail all week but I have already come to terms with the fact that all pics of me in this trip may resemble a homeless person. HA! We also had no internet when we got here. This almost made us panic. Internet is our saving grace here, it is our only connection to everyone back home. Our facilitator sensed our distress when we called him to tell him so he let us use the cell to call back home to at least let our family know we made it. I was able to get in touch with my sister and she called my parents. A few hours later and our facilitator showed up with the internet people (which he told us he probably could not get until Monday). Our facilitators are such wonderful people and they do whatever they can to help us out. Do let me tell you, the Lord has traveled with us and made this trip so incredibly smooth. We feel incredibly blessed right now and even a little undeserving of all that the Lord had done for us.



We had our medicals in Moscow yesterday. Strangely, I was not near as nervous with that as I am going to my primary doc in the states....and do let me tell you, these Russian docs have seen more of me than he ever has. Praise the Lord it is done and over and we wont have to do that again.

We are staying in an apartment here in Kras. It is pretty nice. The weather is cold but it is not unbearable. I kinda like it to be honest. We headed out earlier and found a California Pizza Kitchen. We decided we can survive on pizza alone if we have to. We both got a slice of pizza and one to go so that we do have something in the apartment in case we didn't want to leave. We went for a walk and thought we looked silly carrying pizza slices in clear baggies so I walked around with the pizza in my coat pocket. Can't say I ever toted pizza in my pocket before but you do what you can to not stand out as bad around here.

Next, we headed to the market which is very close to the apartment. It was a little tough trying to figure things out. We tried to buy things that we recognized from the plane. Like we were able to figure out what butter was because it matched the packet of butter they gave us on the plane. We knew what a carton of apple juice looked like from the plane as well. Here is our first grocery store purchase...can you figure it all out?
We have: Coca Cola, cereal, apple juice, milk (we hope), chips, strawberry jelly, canned corn (I can live off canned corn), bread and butter. Not so sure how we got this combination of things. We will be a little more bold tomorrow. We have a full kitchen here are the apartment so I may play a little Iron chef and try some mystery ingredients tomorrow.

6 comments:

Jeanette said...

Hysterical about the flat iron! I know exactly what you are talking about :) Glad your travels and medicals went well. I almost bought goats milk until my husband pointed out the little goat on the front. Not that that would have killed me, but I like my milk from a cow! Have fun!!!

swoods said...

Glad everything is going good. Ya'll can call me collect anytime you want or need to. Home or cell phone (company pays for cell :).. I will be back and forth from hospital so cell would be best. I am always here for anything you need. We will keep the prayers coming. Had to get my daughter to expalin the flat iron.Funny...God bless

Hannah said...

What an adventure! Cant wait to hear about your iron chef experiments :) Enjoy your time there...it will be over before you know it!!

Love and prayers,
Hannah

Michelle said...

Hello! I recently found your blog. I am in the process of starting an adoption from Russia and was told Kras might be a possible region for me. I'm glad you made it safely and have such a great facilitator. What agency are you guys with? Have fun during this special time!!

sonflowerjax said...

I am laughing at your hair problems. I had the same problem! Go curly is what my husband said...I replied, oh, ok, sure (NOT!) ;) So excited for you guys! What agency are you using? We used Bethany here in the states(great experience), who partners with Adopt-A-Child over there...also great! I'll be following and praying!

swoods said...

Benji: dont wanna post my problems on ya'lls happy blog so I put info on my blog. Look at it for updates. Thanks for calling this morning it means alot. Cant wait for pictures, if they allow you.