Thursday, February 17, 2011

Day 21 and 22

Internet is not quite as easy here...or rather with 2 toddlers. The night before we left, N flat refused to sleep. He never a once fell asleep..thus we had a crabby toddler for the first little bit of the flight, then we ahad a conked out toddler. D did wonderful on the flight. The only part he had trouble with was having to keep his seat belt on. He got very upset when buckled in, but did wonderful beyond that.
We got to Moscow and my parents arrived about 2 hours behind us. Words cannot express how wonderful it was to see them. D has had a few meltdowns but they are very short lived. N is very happy go lucky...so long as he sleeps and eats when he is ready. We have just became VERY aware at how attached D is to us. He has really come around with me. The other day while laying down with him at naptime, he stood up on the bed, walked over to me and literally layed down on my stomach and chest. I was shocked, and relished in every second of that moment. He layed on top of me for a good 30 minutes. Benji or I one have to be with him at all times, otherwise he has a major meltdown. I feel so good that he is attached so well. N has attached very well also , but he is a very friendly and sociable little boy so he will go to just about anyone.
They had their first experience in a pool today (indoor and heated...it is -27 Celcius here...your boogers freeze...no joke!) and they LOVED it. We are having such a good time and they are enjoying their Grammie and Pops.

4 comments:

Hannah said...

I am glad you are all together. Hope to see pics of the boys with Grammie and Pops soon :)

Jeanette said...

Sounds like you guys are off to such a great start! So sweet how he cuddled with you :) Good news that they like to swim, too!

I don't want to pretend to be an adoption expert, cause I'm so totally not :) But you mentioned D doesn't want you two out of his sight. Our daughter was like that from day one and continued for several months. I thought she "attached" so quickly. I then read a book called "Parenting You Internationally Adopted Child" and realized that her behavior was a survival skill due to the "big change" and that she was clinging to me to avoid further loss. I wish I had read this book sooner. You may already know about it, but it is wonderful. I couldn't reach for a tissue without her panicking that I was going to leave the room. It sounds like D has "preferential clinging" (which my daughter had) which is a good sign that he is ready to work on attachment further. I'm only giving my two cents since I assumed our daughter was attached and we still had a ways to go.

I am though, totally impressed with how you are handling things and how well things are going. You are a natural!!!

sonflowerjax said...

Jeanette, I am also reading that book..right now. Yes, almost 3 months into our placement. But, it is still helpful! Shanon, you guys seem to be doing great! I hope we get to see pool and grandparent pics! :)

Doug and Shelly said...

Hi! I just stumbled across your blog! We are currently in Krasnoyarsk; we had our court date on Feb. 15, so we just missed you! Congratulations on your boys!